10 February 2021 Radio Waterloo Board Meeting

Radio Waterloo, Inc. Board of Directors Meeting

Date: Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Scheduled Time of Meeting: 6:30 PM

Location: 283 Duke St W, Unit 114B, Kitchener, Ontario, N2H 3X7

Online:  https://radiowaterloo.ca/meeting

Attendance

Director Name Present Regrets / Delegate Absent
Nat Persaud

President (TechCom)

X
Mokshi VIrk
Vice President
X
Andy Nagpal

Treasurer (FinCom)

X
Bob Jonkman

Secretary

X
Rob McKenna
(MusicCom)
X
Dan Kellar
(Policy)
X
Yasin Dewji
(Fundraising)
X
Narendra Grover X
Indira Singh X
Jenniefer Stronge X
Jeff Stager
(ProgCom)
X
Cameron Vanatter (Ex Officio, Outreach) X

Other members:

 

Start Time: 6:34pm

End Time: 8:57pm

Minutes approved on :

 

(Signature of President) (Print Name) (Date)

 

(Signature of Secretary) (Print Name) (Date)

Agenda

  • Approve agenda
  • Set date for next meeting
  • Approve previous minutes
  • Review important dates
  • Reports from Committee Coordinators
  • Finance (Andy Nagpal)
  • Programming (Jeff Stager)
  • Policy (Dan Kellar)
  • Tech and Space (Nat Persaud)
  • Music (Rob McKenna)
  • Outreach (Cameron Vanatter)
  • Fundraising (Yasin Dewji)
  • Action Items from previous meetings 
  • Old Business
      • Appoint new Monday Liaison (Sherice Alishaw’s vacancy)
  • New Business
  • Bob Jonkman: In 2018 the Federal government passed Bill C65, Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention (HVP) – 943-1-IPG-104, those regulations came into effect on 1 January 2021. The NCRA points out there is a requirement that employers (the station management) and all staff receive training (ie. the Board of Directors, possibly all volunteers), and that the first report to the Federal Labour Program is due March 1st 2022 (next March).

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/laws-regulations/labour/interpretations-policies/104-harassment-violence-prevention.html 

NCRA thread: https://groups.google.com/a/ncra.ca/g/ncra-members/c/kWqYAmvgYFc/m/DuL28WZ4DAAJ

  • Nat Persaud: Review Student fees (50% discount)
  • Dan Kellar: CFRC grant application (motion to strike a committee)
  • Deferred from January: Bob Jonkman: Vulnerability of Operations and Finance – Many tech and finance accounts are held by individuals. It is possible that our operations could be interrupted when these people are no longer members (or through malicious action). These accounts need to be moved to Radio Waterloo accounts, eg. twitter@radiowaterloo.ca, amazon@radiowaterloo.ca, Domain Names: hostmaster@radiowaterloo.ca (see RFC 2142) These e-mail addresses can be forwarded to the mailboxes of individuals managing those resources. Propose a policy (motion?) that all accounts created for operations are to be functional e-mail addresses forwarded to either the tech@radiowaterloo.ca mailbox, or the mailbox of the person managing that service. This allows TechCom to redirect the account when necessary.
  • Members Forum 
  • Adjournment

 

Agenda Items For Future Meetings:

  • March 2021: Discuss a Volunteer Appreciation Awards Event. Postpone until normalcy resumes? Outdoors in the summer?

Minutes

  • Approve agenda
      • Amendments made
      • MOTION to Approve: Jeff Stager, seconded: Indira Singh; passed.
  • Set date for next Board meeting
      • Wednesday, 3 March 2021 at 6:30pm-8:30pm
  • (ProgCom: 26 February 2021 at 6:00pm)
  • Approve previous minutes
  •  MOTION to approve: Indira Singh; Seconded: Yasin Dewji; passed.
  • Review important dates
  • Discussion on CRA returns, 
  • Discussion on Canada Summer Jobs application – good for Committee Coordinators to help with their committees. Already closed for 2021.
  • Golden MP3 Awards (Sonic Boom) show has taken place. (see Music Report)
  • Reports from Committee Coordinators
  • Finance (Andy Nagpal)
        • Nat Persaud presented the Finance Report in Andy Nagpal’s absence.
        • There are some expenses in wrong categories, making an overview difficult.
  • Programming (Jeff Stager)
  • Policy (Dan Kellar)
        • Nothing to report.
  • Tech and Space (Nat Persaud)
        • There was an outage; It was a bad cable, but in troubleshooting some things were disrupted. All should be recovered now.
        • Backup drives are in place, backups being done manually
        • Nat Persaud is working on repairing the old transmitter
        • May need additional insulation in the transmitter shack, esp. In the ceiling.
        • Space: Studio is closed; Nat is acquiring additional Covid-19 supplies (sanitizer, mic socks)
        • Indira Singh is in touch with Burhan (building manager) about studio ventilation
        • The proposed lease (for the studio) is on the shared drive, please add suggestions so that it can be presented to the landlord. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cKzGBcsPpUpL6VEd3nkt8d-H5crdbFp7L0Y1-KuG_fs/edit 
  • Music (Rob McKenna)
        • Rob’s work has changed due to Covid; has not had much time to work on new music.
        • Golden MP3 awards will be posted to Radio Waterloo website soon. There were about 10 submissions to the Golden MP3 nominations. (posted after meeting: https://radiowaterloo.ca/ckms-golden-mp3-awards-3/
        • Remote LTA kits: Kits have been received, assembled, and distributed. There are still some to be picked up. 6 are out, 3 remaining, plus the original LTA Kit.
        • Need a list of programmers who have suspended their show due to Covid, can they use Remote LTA kits?
        • Discussion about Midtown Radio, Heffner Studio at Kitchener Public Library: ACTION: Follow up with Bob Egan of KPL about a “KPL Hour Live” airing in an off-peak timeslot. Discussion in ProgCom Chat on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/2243076175780383 
  • Outreach (Cameron Vanatter)
        • No outreach report, no Cam… ACTION: Reach out to Cam if he’s still interested.
  • ACTION: Nat Persaud to acquire the Twitter phone number, get the API set up.
  • Fundraising (Yasin Dewji)
        • Fundraising meeting tomorrow (9:45am 11 Feb 2021). Planning for funding drive in May. Inviting all members to the next meeting.
        • Following up on advertising requests? Post them to a list? There is a financial incentive for people to land advertising.
  • Action Items from previous meetings 
    • Reviewed.
  • Old Business
        • No changes at this time. We continue to support people with Remote LTA kits. 
        • TechSpaceCom can use this time to make improvements to the studio.
        • Suggestion to open for one person; show host, no guests. But there is concern about aerosol transmission during program changeover, even lingering aerosols. We need better ventilation before opening the studio. Indira Singh will continue to work with Burhan (building management) on getting an HVAC evaluation; site visit to be planned for 26 February 2021.
  • New Business
  • Bob Jonkman: In 2018 the Federal government passed Bill C65, Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention (HVP) – 943-1-IPG-104, those regulations came into effect on 1 January 2021. The NCRA points out there is a requirement that employers (the station management) and all staff receive training (ie. the Board of Directors, possibly all volunteers), and that the first report to the Federal Labour Program is due March 1st 2022 (next March).

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/laws-regulations/labour/interpretations-policies/104-harassment-violence-prevention.html 

NCRA thread: https://groups.google.com/a/ncra.ca/g/ncra-members/c/kWqYAmvgYFc/m/DuL28WZ4DAAJ

  • ACTION: Bob Jonkman to find NCRA resources, and next steps to proceed.
  • Perhaps have anti-harassment information on the Members’ section on the website; include in our training procedures
  • Nat Persaud: Review Student fees (50% discount)
      • Why give students a break, when students were the ones who defunded us?
      • The policy is actually for low-income people, not only students.
      • How do we determine who is low-income? Programmers have to ask. 
      • Wording has been changed on the website: “Subsidies are available to make Community Radio available to everyone.”
        https://radiowaterloo.ca/how-to/start-a-new-show/#programming-fees
  • Dan Kellar: CFRC grant application (motion to strike a committee)
      • Dan reviewed the Radiometre application guidelines.
      • MOTION: To form a committee to apply for the CRFC Radiometre’s 11th round of funding. Moved: Dan Kellar; seconded: Bob Jonkman.
      • Discussion: 
        • only one application can be submitted.
        • Will the LJI grant be able to fund news production until the start of this grant? Dan Kellar will investigate if we can send unused funds to continue to produce news  programs until September 2021.
      • Voting: All in favour, passed.
      • Interest in forming the committee shown by Dan Kellar, Nat Persaud, Yasin Dewji, Andy Nagpal, Bob Jonkman.
      • There is a Facebook Chat Room for grant applications: https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/3917397841623511 
  • Deferred from January: Bob Jonkman: Vulnerability of Operations and Finance – Many tech and finance accounts are held by individuals. It is possible that our operations could be interrupted when these people are no longer members (or through malicious action). These accounts need to be moved to Radio Waterloo accounts, eg. twitter@radiowaterloo.ca, amazon@radiowaterloo.ca, Domain Names: hostmaster@radiowaterloo.ca (see RFC 2142) These e-mail addresses can be forwarded to the mailboxes of individuals managing those resources. Propose a policy (motion?) that all accounts created for operations are to be functional e-mail addresses forwarded to either the tech@radiowaterloo.ca mailbox, or the mailbox of the person managing that service. This allows TechCom to redirect the account when necessary.
    • Deferred until the March meeting.
  • Members Forum 
      • Nothing.
  • Adjournment
    • MOTION to adjourn: Indira Singh; seconded: Dan Kellar.

 

Meeting adjourned 8:57pm

 

Minutes taken by Bob Jonkman.

 

Radio Waterloo