Organisation Name: CKMS – 102.7 FM – Radio Waterloo
Job Title: Freelance journalist
The CKMS community newsroom is looking for several freelance journalists to produce local content. The program is funded with a grant from the Community Radio Fund of Canada until March 31 2021.
The focus of the work is here in Waterloo Region and will investigate and help explain the intersections of homelessness and displacement, poverty and mental health, and the war on drugs and safer consumption initiatives.
Candidates do not have to commit for the entire term of the project, we will be accepting applications throughout the program’s timeline to ensure flexibility.
We’re looking for dynamic journalists who care about local journalism and local issues.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Produce 20-30 minute edited audio pieces for broadcast with interview and analysis focusing on the intersections of homelessness and displacement, poverty and mental health, and the war on drugs and safer consumption initiatives.
- Set up and undertake interviews for assigned or approved pieces.
- Pitching ideas for pieces.
- Use audio editing software to produce the piece.
- Write up descriptions of the produced pieces for use on the CKMS website.
- Upload the completed work to the appropriate servers.
- Ability to critically assess potential news stories and interviews ethically and efficiently.
- Journalism training/experience and documentary production experience are assets.
- Self-motivated and willing to initiate and complete projects.
- Experience with audio editing software is an asset
- Familiarity with website and social media platforms are assets.
- Familiarity with issues of homelessness, poverty, and drug use are assets.
Compensation: Each assigned 20-30 minute audio piece will be compensated at the rate of 250$. A successful applicant can expect 1-3 assignments each month.
Closing date: The program starts immediately upon a successful application. We will be accepting applications for the entirety of the program.
How to Apply: send resume/CV and a brief cover letter to – email@example.com