Tamara Lorincz talks about peace, nonviolence, the arms trade, militarization, Canada’s interference in international affairs, the military’s excessive additions to Canada’s carbon footprint, and lists the many events, rallies, and protests coming up in Waterloo Region.
The interview starts at 5m19s.
- Twitter: @TamaraLorincz
- Facebook: Tamara Lorincz
Organizations and Resources
- MLK’s speech: Beyond Vietnam from the King Institute at Stanford University (audio on SoundCloud: Vietnam: A Crisis of Conscience (April 4, 1967)
- Arthur Manuel: Unsettling Canada
- Yves Engler: The Black Book of Canadian Foreign Policy
- Canadian Voice of Women For Peace
- Code Pink
- World Beyond War
- NoWar-Paix, Ottawa Network to Oppose War and Racism
- WR Nonviolence
Call your Member of Parliament
Prime Minister: The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau
Telephone: +1-514-277-6020 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Minister of Foreign Affairs: The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne
Telephone: +1-613-995-4895 E-mail: Francois-Philippe.Champagne@parl.gc.ca
MP for Waterloo: The Honourable Bardish Chagger
Telephone: +1-519-746-1573 E-mail: Bardish.Chagger@parl.gc.ca
MP for Kitchener South — Hespeler: Marwan Tabbara
Telephone: +1-519-571-5509 E-mail: Marwan.Tabbara@parl.gc.ca
MP for Kitchener Centre: Raj Saini
Telephone: +1-519-741-2001 E-mail: Raj.Saini@parl.gc.ca
MP for Cambridge: Bryan May
Telephone: +1-519-624-7440 E-mail: Bryan.May@parl.gc.ca
MP for Kitchener — Conestoga: Tim Louis
Telephone: +1-519-578-3777 E-mail: Tim.Louis@parl.gc.ca
Film Screening — MLK: A Call To Conscience
When: Monday, 20 January 2020 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm Where: Room 1-42, Balsillie School for International Affairs Location: 67 Erb Street West, Waterloo, Ontario Website: Film Screening: MLK: A Call to Conscience – Balsillie School of International Affairs
Rally: Peace With Iran
When: Saturday, 25 January 2020 from 2:00pm to 3:00pm Where: Waterloo Public Square Location: 75 King Street North, Waterloo, Ontario Website: CKMS-FM Public Service Announcement, KWPeace Event: Global Day of Protest – No War on Iran
Peace Conference and CANSEC Protest
When: 26 — 31 May 2020 Where: Ottawa, Ontario Website: #NoWar2020: Divest, Disarm, Demilitarize
Download: ckms-community-connections-2020-01-20.mp3 (54.2 MiBytes, 59m12s, episode 36)
- 00m24s: The Soviet Influence — Astronomical Wonders from the Boundaries album
- 5m19s: Tamara Lorincz talks about Martin Luther King Jr. and the film showing MLK: A Call To Conscience, Canada’s military interference in other countries and domestically, extractive imperialism, the need for peaceful foreign policy, the climate crisis and military GHG emissions, the Peace With Iran rally
- 31m41s: Jake Feeney — No Headlights
- 34m45s: Talking about Tamara’s PhD program and background, victories in the peace movement.
- 50m31s: Wilfred N and the Grown Men — Awake Asleep from the album We’ll Get There First
- 53m40s: Summary of events: Protests at CANSEC, Peace Conference in Ottawa, Peace With Iran rally in Waterloo Public Square, film screening MLK: A Call To Conscience
CKMS Community Connections Hour One airs on CKMS-FM 102.7 on Monday from 11:00am to Noon, and Hour Two airs on Friday from 2:00pm to 3:00pm.
Got music, spoken word, or other interesting stuff? Let us know at email@example.com or leave a comment on our “About” page.
Subscribe to the CKMS Community Connections podcast!
See all CKMS Community Connections shows!
YouTube: CKMS Community Connections for 20 January 2020
Additional Bonus Footage!
YouTube: Perspectives On Peace: Where’s the Peace And Justice?
Show notes and podcast interview content is Copyright © 2020 by the participants, and released under a Creative Commons Attribution Only license. Copy, re-use, and deriviatives works are allowed with attribution to Radio Waterloo and a link to this page. Music selections are copyright by the respective rights holders.